- Lake Barrine is an extinct volcanic crater lake filled with cool, clean,
crystal clear water, surrounded by lush tropical highland rainforest.
- Massive blocks that were thrown up as a phreatic explosion created this maar.
- A Ngadjonji story describes the creation of three volcanic crater lakes-
Yidam (Lake Eacham), Barany (Lake Barrine) and Ngimun (Lake
- 'Two men broke a taboo and angered the rainbow serpent, a major spirit of
the area. The earth roared like thunder and the winds blew like a cyclone.
The ground began to twist and crack and there were red clouds in the sky
that had never been seen before. People ran from side to side but were
swallowed by a crack which opened in the earth.'
- Interestingly, in the course of this story, the country is described not
as rainforest but as open scrub. This observation is supported by pollen
- Lake Barrine is a ten minute drive from Lake
Eacham, Lake Barrine offers safe swimming, as well as picnic areas for your
- There is a restaurant on the shoreline which offers five star views from open air
balconies as well as glass enclosed tearooms.
- It is an unforgettable place to enjoy lunch
and Devonshire Teas.
- Enjoy a short walk to the 1,100 year old Twin Kauri Pines, or the six kilometre
rainforest circuit walk around the lake's edge.