- The area was surveyed in 1906.
- In 1907 the government passed the group settlement scheme and people
knowing each other could purchase adjoining blocks. The aim of this was for
the selectors to help each other into developing their blocks.
- In 1910 the railway was built.
- In 1911 the first Hotel was built.
- In 1912 the dairy industry was established.
- In 1916 the first show was held.
- 1n 1921 the Butter factory was built and has been in operation since and
after the closure of the Millaa Millaa butter factory in 1973 it has taken
over as the longest milk run in the world.
- It is a small town that utilises its natural resources.
- The Malanda Hotel is the most obvious landmark of the location, characteristically
built from the timber of local trees.
- As you enter the restaurant section of the hotel,
you will notice the prominence of these timbers, seen in the floorboards and the
magnificent staircase (made from local Silky Oak) leading to the hotel rooms and second
- The hotel serves a range of very tasty counter meals, reasonably priced, to be
eaten with a selection of beers, wine, spirits or soft drink.
- Adjacent to the Malanda Hotel is a Caltex petrol station where snacks for a day's trip
may be purchased.
- There is a bakery across the road which offers hot pies, pasties, sausage
rolls, cakes and drinks, with tables and chairs allowing for consumption on the premises.
- A few doors down from the bakery, there is the
- This unique
shop has a lot of locally made wood and glass products.
- Certainly well worth a look to
appreciate the local talent.
- The Five Star Fresh Mart supermarket is open six days a week for all your grocery and shopping requirements.
Monday...........8:15am - 5:30pm
Tuesday..........8:15am - 5:30pm
Wednesday....8:15am - 5:30pm
Thursday.........8:15am - 8:00pm
Friday..............8:15am - 5:30pm
Saturday..........8:15am - 2:00pm