Wongabel State Forest Arbor Walk
Wongabel Botanic Walk:
How to get there:
- Follow the Kennedy Highway out of Atherton, travelling eight kilometres south.
The Wongabel Botanical Walk is located on the eastern side of the highway in the Wongabel
- The walk is 2.6 kilometres long and is suggested to last two to three hours if
each tree is studied.
- It is a gentle, easy walk which
is designed to give you the opportunity to learn about rainforest trees.
- Often it is
difficult to see the whole tree in the rainforest, especially when the canopy is
- Thus trees are often identified by the characteristics on their lower trunk.
characteristics are shown and explained along the way, even small tests are given to check
- There are 190 trees labelled on the walk, most located on the main path, with a
few straying off the path on minor avenues.
- The trees are labelled with their common name
and botanic name for those interested, and a detailed information sheet is available from
the Queensland Forestry Department located behind the Police Station in Atherton.